Building materials play a significant role and are necessary to implement construction projects effectively. Therefore, successful construction activities are only achievable with the proper selection of tools and materials available.
These building materials can be categorized as natural or man-made. Natural materials commonly include wood and stones, while concrete and steel are man-made or manufactured. These materials undergo a process to be used in building projects. Here are the common types of building materials used in construction.
One of the most popular building materials used since old age is stones. Stones became popular due to their strength and durability qualities. Thus, stones are considered one of the most long-lasting building materials for building plans, including home projects and designs. Other advantages of using stones include durability and weather resistance.
Stones in interior designs have been a trend and are widely used in most countries, including China, India, the United States, Australia, etc. Common in-demand natural stones in the global market include granite, limestone, marble, and sandstone. The stone application recorded by the Global Natural Stone Market showed that 50.98% of stones are used in flooring, while other applications include wall cladding, cut-to-size items, and others.
In Australia, most homeowners and builders have jumped into the trend of achieving more than ordinary home designs. Thus, homeowners hire professionals like a builder in Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, and other areas to achieve better home interiors and exteriors, incorporating stacked stone applications to achieve a timeless and sophisticated home look.
When it comes to creating walls and pavements, bricks are the common building materials used for it. Like stones, bricks are also one of the oldest materials still widely used today. Materials to produce bricks may include the use of clay and the process of molding, drying, and burning. So what are the advantages of using bricks?
- Bricks are durable and fire-resistant.
- It is best used for load-bearing walls or those walls that support the weight of a house, as it can resist compression loads.
- Depending on the quality, bricks with the proper combination and application of concrete and steel can be long-lasting.
When choosing good quality bricks, it is essential to see if they are free from cracks, have sharp edges, and create a ringing sound when stuck with each other. These factors can indicate good quality and durable bricks.
Interesting for you: Lime for Building: Properties, uses, tests, advantages in construction
Concrete is a mixture of aggregates (sand, gravel, crushed stones) and a paste using water and cement to harden. The most common and generally used type of cement is Portland cement which is known to have good resistance to cracking and shrinkage. One of the advantages of using concrete is its availability and strength.
Unlike other natural materials used in construction, concrete is less vulnerable to flaws and defects. Moreover, concrete is also considered an ideal material for house foundations as it can efficiently withstand heavy loads and forces during construction. A safe home or building is also achievable as concrete is fire, wind, and water resistant.
Wood as a building material has been used for thousands of years already. Commonly, for construction, dimensional lumbers are used. These are wood pieces cut into standard and specific dimensions that are used for wall framings, furniture, flooring, ceiling, etc. On the other hand, larger sizes like timber and beams are used for larger frame structures.
Woods are readily available building materials and are relatively lightweight. Besides that, wood can also provide good insulation, strong, sustainable, and renewable. Most significantly, wood is a greenhouse-positive product. It means that they have a lower environmental impact than other building materials.
Steel is one of the essential materials in engineering and construction. Steel is made up of iron ore, coal, scrap steel, and other elements. This material is known to be robust, safe, and reliable, making it more advantageous to use in construction. Also, it is more flexible by nature and can come in various shapes and sizes. Other advantages of using steel include the following:
- Readily available – Steels can be easily found compared to other metals and materials because of the existing overproduction of this material.
- Lightweight – Unlike similar concrete structures, steels are lightweight, making rebuilding structures faster and easier.
- Durable and sturdy – Steel can withstand different weather conditions and is fire and rust-resistant, adding to its overall durability.
- Low-maintenance – Steel has a better life cycle. Therefore, it only requires less effort and cost to maintain. Adding paint to the steel’s surface will help avoid rust and corrosion.
Choosing building materials for any of your construction projects can be a challenging thing to do. Learning about the different building materials, properties, and advantages would help you know what’s necessary and what’s not according to your specific needs. Of course, asking for professional help would make things easier for you.
Our Useful Calculator tools:
You’ll also Like:
- Quicksand condition- Equation, Physical model, Mechanism and Prevention
- Surface & Subsurface Irrigation: Types, Methods, Importance
- Lime for Building: Properties, uses, tests, advantages in construction
- Kennedy’s Silt Theory: concept, formula, Drawbacks and critical velocity
- Tips for Installing Architectural Roofing Shingles
- Types of Formwork (Shuttering) for Concrete Construction and Application
- What is Shoring? Types and Uses
- Types of Scaffolding Used in Construction and Parts
- Lacey’s regime Silt theory of Canal Design